The Viscounts of Powerscourt truly enjoyed travelling throughout Europe, selecting original pieces of work and commissioning replicas to bring an international flavour to Powerscourt Gardens in Wicklow.
Enjoy exciting sculptures of Gods and Mythical Creatures as well as exquisite water features on your visit to Powerscourt.
One of the most striking features of the Italian Gardens is the pair of life sized Winged Horses which watch over Triton lake. They are made of zinc and form part of the family coat of arms. They were created by Professor Hugo Hagen in Berlin in 1869. The fountain in this dramatic lake is based on the fountain in the Piazza Barberini in Rome. Location: Italian Garden
These winged figures were created for the 7th Viscount in 1866 by Professor Hugo Hagen of Berlin from the design of the great German sculptor Rauch. Location: Italian Garden
These are two bronze copies of the well-known statues found at Herculaneum. They were bought by the 7th Viscount at Naples in 1883 from Massulli, a sculptor who specialised in bronze. Location: Italian Garden
Similar to sculptures at Versailles, this bronze group of children are of French design and the work of Marin. The two vases on each side, with Cupids facing each other, were bought at St. Petersburg. Location: Italian Garden
This is a fine group by the Swedish sculptor Molin. It represents two men who had won the affection of the same lady, and were fastened together with a strap to fight it out with daggers! This is a copy of the original which stands in front of the palace at Stockholm. Location: Italian Garden
This fountain was designed by Mr. Francis Penrose, architect of St. Paul’s Cathedral, London. It features the figures of Eolus and the head of Apollo and was inspired by Lord Powerscourt’s visits to Rome. On it is inscribed the motto “Horas non numero nisi serenas” or “I count only the sunny hours.” Location: Italian Garden
These are two grand bronze figures of Aeolus and are a 17th century Italian work. They were part of a fountain group at the Palais Royal in Paris. They were sold by Christie’s of London to the 7th Viscount in 1872. Location: Italian Garden
The statues of Apollo Belvedere and Diana on the upper Italian terraces were bought in Rome by the 6th Viscount. Location: Italian Garden
The Laocoön is an enormous piece of sculpture based on a Greek legend. It was brought from Rome by the 6th Viscount. It stands on a single piece of granite which was quarried in Glencree. It took two weeks to move this on wooden rollers from Glencree to Powerscourt, with the Head Gardener at the time, Alexander Robertson seated on top issuing instructions! Location: Chorus Gate, Italian Garden
This memorial garden to Julia, the widow of the 7th Viscount Powerscourt, was designed by her son in 1931. The four busts are those of the four great Italian masters; Michael Angelo, Leonardo Da Vinci, Raphael, and Benvenuto Cellini. These are copies of those at the Vatican and the work of Alexander McDonald completed in Rome in 1878. Location: Walled Garden
The Dolphin Pond gets its name from the central fountain which has a jet and dolphins spouting water up to 5 metres. It was brought from Paris by the 7th Viscount in the late 19th century. It was once known as “The Green Pond” and is one of the oldest parts of Powerscourt Gardens, even appearing on a 1740 map of the estate as a fish pond. Location: Beside the Pets’ Cemetery
These are two bronze copies of the well-known statues found at Herculaneum. They were bought by the 7th Viscount at Naples in 1883 from the sculptor Massulli. Location: Walled Garden
As travel restrictions are being lifted from next Monday (29th June), we look forward to welcoming visitors from across the country back to Powerscourt Estate. The Gardens are now beautifully in bloom and are a perfect place to visit to unwind and experience nature in all its summer glory.
We advise visitors to the Gardens to pre-book in advance online to guarantee entrance. Book on www.powerscourt.com/tickets.
From the 29th of June, the areas and facilities open on the Estate include –
-The Gardens (9.30 am-5.30 pm, 7 days a week, last entry 5 pm)
-The Waterfall (9.30 am- 7 pm, 7 days a week, last entry 6 pm)
-The Garden Pavilion (9.30 am-5.30 pm, 7 days a week, Sunday 10 am – 5.30 pm)
-Avoca Food Hall (9.30 am-5.30 pm, 7 days a week)
-Avoca Cafe Restaurant (9.30 am- 4 pm, 7 days a week)
-The Design Loft (10 am – 5 pm, 7 days a week)
-Neptune by Global Village open from the 3rd of July
-Avoca outdoor takeaway coffee & treats
-The Riverwalk (for Annual members)
-The Golf courses (Open to all golfers to book tee times from the 29th of June)
-Powerscourt Hotel open for bookings from the 2nd of July
-Powerscourt Distillery open from Friday 3rd July (Friday & Saturday from 11.30am- 5pm & Sunday 12pm-5.30pm).
To keep our staff, members, and visitors safe we will be facilitating social distancing, hand sanitising, and other safety measures. Please read the list of safety measures here.
To keep informed please visit the News Section of our website and keep an eye on social media for updates.