Ireland’s Highest Waterfall
Powerscourt Waterfall is Ireland’s highest at 121m (398ft.) and is 5km from the Main Estate. It is set in one of Ireland’s most beautiful parklands at the foothills of the Wicklow Mountains.
As you drive from the gatelodge towards the Waterfall you are surrounded by Beech, Oak, Larch and Pine trees some of which were planted over 200 years ago. Look out for the Giant Redwoods, which are native to Northern California where they may grow up to 80m high and live for 4,000 years so they are still youngsters!
The Waterfall is an ideal location for summer picnics and barbecues. There is a vast amount of space to keep children entertained. There is also a playground for younger children. But be mindful of the other inhabitants of the parkland! It is a haven for wildlife and children can have fun trying to spot some of the locals – the Chaffinch, Cuckoo, Raven and the Willow Warbler. Some other inhabitants are the Sika Deer which were introduced to Ireland in 1858 and there may be a red squirrel or two.
Don’t fret if you forget your picnic as there is a kiosk on site that serves everything from coffee and tea to hot-dogs and ice-cream. The kiosk is open everyday from the 1st June to the end of August and year round at weekends, if weather permits. There is ample car parking and toilet facilities at the waterfall. Dogs are welcome but they must be on a leash.
Take time to explore the pathways that meander through the flora and fauna, walk along the woodland pathways and listen to the birdsong. Read about Early Tourists to Powerscourt Waterfall.
The Waterfall is located 6km from Powerscourt Estate. From Dublin City and Wexford take Exit 8. After 2 km take the first left towards Enniskerry and follow the signs for Powerscourt Waterfall. Here is a map of Powerscourt Waterfall.
Norman Dowling Coaches provide a daily tour to Powerscourt Waterfall. They also take in other cultural and historical sites along the way, so you get to see the best that County Wicklow has to offer. Contact Norman Dowling Coaches to find out more!
• Jan/Feb/Nov/Dec 10.30am – 4.00pm
• Mar/Apr/Sept/Oct 10.30am – 5.30pm
• May/Jun/July/Aug 9.30am – 7.00pm
• The Waterfall closes 2 weeks before Christmas each year
• Adults €5.50, Student/OAP €5.00
• Child (U12) €3.50, Children (U2) Free
• Family Ticket €16.00 (2 adults & up to 3 children)
• Annual passes allow unlimited entry to Powerscourt Estate, Gardens and Waterfall during normal opening hours.
• Members can also enjoy exclusive access to Powerscourt River Walk featuring 3 km of tranquil pathways and secret woodland trails. The River Walk’s main pathway was laid in 1868 by the Viscount of Powerscourt so that his family could enjoy the serenity of the River Dargle.
• Individual membership costs €95.00 and family membership costs €160.00 for two adults and up to four children. To purchase your annual pass please call into the reception at Powerscourt House or at the Gatelodge at the Waterfall entrance. Find out more about annual membership of Powerscourt.